Skip to content

Danish Driving Licence

Due to changes in the law, it is no longer possible for Danish nationals who residence outside of Denmark to apply for a Danish duplicate driving licence nor have the existing one changed to the credit-card-type EU model.


Danish driving licences may only be issued to persons who have habitual residence in Denmark. Habitual residence means the country where the person stays at least 185 days in one calendar year.

Persons registered in the CPR-register with an address in Denmark are considered to have habitual residence in Denmark.

Holders of a Danish driving licence who stay abroad temporarily and who have habitual residence in Denmark may submit an application for a duplicate driving licence and renewal of driving licence through the Danish Diplomatic or Consular Missions abroad.

As per 1 January 2017 persons who have obtained a Danish driving licence and who do not have habitual residence in Denmark are referred to the police authorities in their country of residence in order to apply for a duplicate driving licence and renewal of a driving licence.

Driving licence in South Africa

If you reside permanently in South Africa and you want to acquire a duplicate driving licence or renew your licence this must be done on the basis of a declaration from the Danish police authorities, confirming your driving rights.

This declaration can be obtained in English by sending a written application to the National Commissioner of Police:

Administrationsafdelingen, Pas og Kørekort
Polititorvet 14
DK-1780 København V
E-mail: [email protected]

Kindly note, that if you have obtained permanent residence in South Africa, you must convert your license within 5 years of obtaining permanent residence.

However, the South African Transport Department may ask you to re-apply for a South African licence incl. doing a written test as well as a driving test.

More information can be found in the attached brochure here and on the Department of Transport's website: